The ‘Black House’ is Restored

  • The ‘Black House’ is Restored
  • The ‘Black House’ is Restored
  • The ‘Black House’ is Restored
  • The ‘Black House’ is Restored
  • The ‘Black House’ is Restored
  • The ‘Black House’ is Restored
  • The ‘Black House’ is Restored
  • The ‘Black House’ is Restored
Issue 129, December 2019.
The ‘Black House’ is Restored
 
The restoration of one of Lviv’s most famous architectural monuments – the Chorna Kamianytsia (Black House) – is finally finished! A monument of the late Renaissance, it was originally built by architects P. Barbon and P. Rymlianyn in 1588-89 with a third floor addition in 1596 by P. Krasowski. Currently the building is used for exhibitions of the Lviv History Museum. The building took its name from the dark grey colour the façade’s hewn stone had taken by the late 16th-Century. The reconstruction won a 270,000 USD grant through the U.S. Ambassadors Fund for Cultural Preservation in 2016, which was used for restoration of the façade, water insulation, roof renovation, and archeological digging without further shoring of the foundation. All interior renovations were done through the use of the Lviv History Museum’s own funds. Since 2001, the U.S. Ambassadors Fund for Cultural Preservation has provide nearly $1 million USD to support 14 separate projects in Ukraine. 
 
Реставрація "Чорної кам’яниці" 
 
Реставрація однієї з найвідоміших пам’яток архітектури у Львові - "Чорної Кам'яниці" нарешті завершена! Архітекторами цього пам'ятника пізнього Відродження були П. Барбон та П. Римлянин у 1588-89 рр. Третій поверх надбудував у 1596 р. П. Красовський. Нині будівля використовується для експозицій львівського історичного музею. Свою назву споруда отримала завдяки темно-сірому кольору, якого набув камінь фасаду наприкінці 16 століття. Реконструкція отримала грант в розмірі 270 000 доларів через Посольський фонд США зі збереження культурної спадщини у 2016 році, який був використаний для реставрації фасаду, виконання гідроізоляції, реконструкції даху та археологічних розкопок без пошкодження фундаменту. Всі реконструкції інтер'єру були виконані за рахунок власних коштів музею. Починаючи з 2001 року Посольський фонд США зі збереження культурної спадщини надав майже 1 мільйон доларів США для підтримки 14 різних проектів на території України.