Monument to Coffee Hero

  • Monument to Coffee Hero
  • Monument to Coffee Hero
  • Monument to Coffee Hero
  • Monument to Coffee Hero
  • Monument to Coffee Hero
  • Monument to Coffee Hero
Issue 62, November 2013.

Monument to Coffee Hero

A monument of Yuriy Kulchitsky, a Galician merchant, spy, diplomat, and soldier – considered to be a hero by the people of Vienna for his actions during the 1683 Battle of Vienna – was unveiled in Lviv’s Danylo Halytsky Sq. on Oct. 22. 1683 was also when he opened his first café in the city, the Hof zur Blauen Flasche (House under the Blue Bottle), using coffee beans left behind by the retreating Ottoman Turks. In time, his café became one of the most popular places in the city. Kulchitsky alsways served the mortar-ground coffee wearing Turkish attire, which added to the place’s popularity. Kulcycki, who popularized coffee in Austria, also innovated the idea of serving coffee with milk, a manner that was unknown to the Turks.

He remains a popular folk hero and patron to all Viennese café owners even though his  café closed soon after his death on February 20, 1694. According to Zygmunt Gloger, until recently Viennese café owners organized a special “Kulchitsky Feast” each October, during which they decorated their shop windows with Kulchitsky’s portrait. Kulchitsky is memorialized with a statue on Vienna’s Kulchitsky St. and now Lviv coffee lovers have also paid their tributes to the man that taught Europe to drink coffee.

 

Пам'ятник герою кави

На пл. Данила Галицького у Львові 22 жовтня 2013 р. було урочисто відкрито пам'ятник Юрію Кульчицькому, галичанину, купцеві і перекладачеві, герою Віденьскої відсічі 1683 року. Відразу ж після війни, яка завершилась за його активної участі у тому ж році він відкрив першу кав’ярню у Відні - Hof Zur Blauen Flasche (Дім під синьою пляшкою), в якій подавав напій, виготовлений з трофейних кавових зерен і таким чином започаткував традицію споживання кави в Австрії. З часом, його кав’ярня стала одним з найпопулярніших закладів у місті. Кульчицький сам обслуговував клієнтів, вдягнутий у турецьке вбрання, що не могло не привертати уваги публіки. Одним з його нововведень була кава з молоком, чого турки ніколи не робили.

Кульчицький і тепер популярний народний герой і покровитель усіх віденських кафе, хоча його заклад закрився незабаром після його смерті 20 лютого 1694.

Ще наприкінці 19 ст. польський етнограф Зигмунт Ґлоґер описував, як щороку в жовтні власники віденських кав’ярень святкували Kolschitzky Fest, прикрашаючи свої вітрини його портретом. Скульптура Ю. Кульчицкого в турецькому одязі з тацею в руці встановлена у Відні на розі Фаворітенштрассе і Кольчицкі ґассе і тепер львів’яни теж віддали шану тому, хто свого часу навчив Європу пити каву.